How can I fix the drainage in a slopping yard?


What type of professional should I call to regrade and install a drainage system? I live on a slope at the lower end of the neighborhood. Currently the yard is a bog.

  6 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 03, 2019

    Landscape architect

  • Mona Blake Mona Blake on Jan 03, 2019

    You need a landscape specialist.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 03, 2019

    I would contact a local landscaper and ask for options. Grading and drainage options may solve your problem.

  • Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Jan 03, 2019

    a couple of french drains

  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Jan 03, 2019

    You want a landscapper if you are unable to install a french drain yourself.

  • Oliva Oliva on Jan 11, 2019

    You can check with local code officer, but neighbors should not be discharging water onto your property. If you are at the end of a sloped street, is there a sewer grate to accept water runoff from other properties?

    Most municipalities now require property owners to have drainpipes installed on their property that divert water away from house but have it "daylight" (brought above ground) 4-8' before the end of their property line, s that water can be somewhat absorbed into ground rather than being fully discharged onto the street, and overworking the municipality's water treatment system.

    You can research regrading your property to make a swale, install a French drain, a "dry well", or Hydro Blox system (videos on You Tube), which costs less to install, handles more water faster, and lasts longer than most French drain installations.

    You can contact a specialist in one of these systems, or a landscape engineer.