How can I grow potatoes out of a garbage can?

+3
  • Kathleen Lee-Liedtke Kathleen Lee-Liedtke on Jun 17, 2017
    You need a lot of good garden soil! Make drainage holes (lots of them) on the bottom of the can. Fill 3/4 of the way with good rich garden soil and plant your potatoes sections. As the plant sprouts keep adding good garden soil another few inches. Water as needed and make sure the plants have full sun. When the plants start to die down you can harvest your potatoes. Make sure you plant potatoes that do well in your area. Good luck.

• Eho12125209 Eho12125209 on Jun 19, 2017
      thank you so very much Kathleen I'm so happy for your response have a great n Blessed day

• Maxine Sheehan Maxine Sheehan on Jun 17, 2017
    You plant the seed potatoes at the bottom with recommended coverage of soil, when the plants grow, and the stems are about 8-10" add about another 6" of soil, keep doing it until you reach the top, you'll get a load of potatoes. I've done it with a regular potato that was lost in the fridge. It has a lot of eyes ( roots) starting. Don't forget the garbage can will need drainage holes. Good luck!

thank you so very much Maxine . I'm so very thankful for your response back to me. Have a great n Blessed day honey. And so far away

• Chi7462706 Chi7462706 on Jun 18, 2017
    Tried this and it works great. No more hills in the garden to trip over!!!!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 18, 2017
    I have two of them going on my patio and am doing as Maxine said to do it and mine already are taller than the cans. I put in a tall garbage bag with holes in it in case they get too tall and I will be able to add more soil if I need it.