How do I get my 7 year old Wisteria to bloom?

I have been pruning it as required. Given it potassium to rid the ground of nitrate. Have stopped short of pruning the roots for fear of killing the plant

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jan 07, 2019

It sounds like you might need to "root prune" the plant. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/force-wisteria-bloom-38066.html

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 07, 2019

It is my understanding that it takes wisteria 5-10 years to bloom. According to Wikipedia "seeded specimens can take decades to bloom; for that reason, gardeners usually grow plants that have been started from rooted cuttings or grafted cultivars known to flower well. Another reason for failure to bloom can be excessive fertilizer (particularly nitrogen). Wisteria has nitrogen fixing capability (provided by Rhizobia bacteria in root nodules), and thus mature plants may benefit from added potassium and phosphate, but not nitrogen. Finally, wisteria can be reluctant to bloom because it has not reached maturity. Maturation may require only a few years, as in Kentucky Wisteria, or nearly twenty, as in Chinese Wisteria. Maturation can be forced by physically abusing the main trunk, root pruning, or drought stress."

• Sonja Sonja on Jan 08, 2019

Thank u for ur response. I've been giving my wisteria potassium. Considering it is roughly 7 years old, I am considering cutting around the roots to encourage blooms.