How do I keep driveway runoff out of the garage?

+2

i have a house built in 1920. since the house was originally built the road has been raised and paved and is now higher than the garage. with the drive way now sloping toward the garage the previous owner built a cement ridge in front of the door. now rain and snow collect between the ridge and the door and i still have water in the garage. what is the best way to resolve this

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 22, 2019

We had a similar problem and my husband basically installed a speed bump where the garage door closes. He laid cap blocks the width of the door opening and then added mortar to round it off on each side. If you are interested, I can take a picture when I get home and post it.

As for the ridge in front of the door, if you put a barrier under the door like we did then you could fill the gap between the two with mortar or concrete (depending on how large the gap may be).

• Lono Lono on Jan 22, 2019

thank you for the response, sounds like a good idea. will get mason to firm up a plan. will take out the previous owners work and start fresh.

thanks again

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jan 22, 2019

First, I would call the city and have them send out an inspector so they can see the situation they have created.

I would put a grill drain along the garage front and run the water underground to the lowest part of your property IF it is lower than your driveway. I had to put in a pump to solve this problem. Pump would need to be on a generator as when the power goes out, the pump won't work. The drain must be lower than the driveway and the street.

It is a real pain and $$$ out of your pocket unless you sue the city and win.

Wish you well.

• Lono Lono on Jan 22, 2019

thanks for the ideas. think i will combine your idea of a grill drain with the previous suggestion of a barrier for the door to set on.

thanks again

• Karolyn Slader Karolyn Slader on Jan 22, 2019

Drainage