How should I treat white accumulation on soil surface?

My plant has a white accumulation on the soil surface. Is it harmful? What should I do about it?

• Ralphy babes Ralphy babes on Jan 15, 2019

Sounds like salts not harmfull just unsightly remove 2"of soil and fill with john inness No 3 do this every year it will all so feed the plant also add slow release granules.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Jan 15, 2019

just from mineral content in hard water, scrape it off and add a little fresh dirt

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Jan 15, 2019

I mostly agree with the other answers. It is salts. But a salt build up can cause leaf browning on some plants like peace lilies so it's not always harmless to houseplants. If you see it on the surface, there is a good chance you have build up lower down too. Remove what you see and then flush the soil really well by watering until it profusely flows out the drainage holes. Of course top off the soil back to where it was also. Allowing chlorinated water to stand in an open container overnight before using it to water will help most plants that are sensitive to build up.