What flowering plants can I have on my patio safe from critters?

can I have on my patio that the birds and squirrels won't eat . We live in the Southwest and have a Riparian area off our back yard. The wildlife is attacking most of my plants and I am so discouraged. They dig in the dirt and either eat the budding flowers or leaves on most everything. It is also very hot here in the summer so things need to be drought resistant and hardy in the hot sun. I refuse to plant fake flowers! Besides they would probably eat them too! I have bought the repellent pellets for small animals, etc. Have peppered the plants with cayenne and all to no avail. I want flowers so badly!
  • Elaine Balmes Farr Elaine Balmes Farr on Jun 18, 2017
    Judy I have planted marigolds, petunias, salvias with good success. Petunias work well in hanging planters, but the marigolds and salvias are good in pots. I also have calendulas, which are very heat tolerant. I live in the Arizona desert, so I know your frustration! They love tulips, strawberries etc.

• Judy Judy on Jun 24, 2017
    they seem to ignore the gardenias, geraniums an Gerber Daisies but the
    javenlina ate my entire pot of geraniums in the front yard. I am wondering about bouganvilla , Mexican bird of paradise, plumbago and the one with the yellow or orange trumpet flowers???