What foods grow best in a straw bale garden?

+3
I have tried to grow plants in a straw bale for two years in a row. Last year was not too bad, but I would like to know which plants would do best in that planting medium.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 03, 2018
    what is you location?

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 03, 2018
    The issue is not with the plants, but with the fact that plants planted in straw bales need more water as the outside of the bales can dry out faster, (they need long slow soaks) and that there is no nourishment in the bales. You need to add diluted fertilizer frequently.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jan 03, 2018
    I think just about anything will grow in these...just make sure you have deep enough and large enough hole to grow what you want. Different things require different depths. You might not want plants that grow extra tall or have to be staked.

Keep in mind that fertilizing and watering a garden makes a difference too. My brother-in-law sliced open bags of top soil and planted in them! Had a great small garden!

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 04, 2018
    Lettuce and beans are pretty easy to grow in straw bales.