What is the best soil and wood to use in a raised garden?

+3
I want to make a raised garden in my yard. All I have is sand and weeds. I want to used 4x4's--like a 4x8 size. I'd like to know what kind of wood to use, treated or untreated, and how high to make it. Also, what is the BEST soil to use and how deep should the soil be. Thanx~Chris*
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jun 18, 2017
    UNtreated lumber is the safest to use because you cannot rely on the safety of treated wood, yet. Pine is readily available and inexpensive in most parts of the USA, and if you live in a moderately damp climate with good drainage it can last upwards of about 1 years (MY area sees a lot of rain and the drainage isn't all that great, so it needs maintenance about every 3 or 4 years). The type of soil you use is dependent on the type of vegetables you are growing. Some require more drainage than others, hence more sand. I am adding below a website link on some excellent choices for soil for raised beds. Hope u get a bumper crop! Happy Gardening Chris! http://learn.eartheasy.com/2014/04/3-useful-soil-mixes-for-planters-and-raised-beds/

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 18, 2017
    untreated wood for a vegetable garden .Pressure treated wood has to many chemicals.The soil level should be high enough to cover the plants roots systems.Use garden soil.The height can be what ever you would like.There is no set rule.Make sure you line the garden with heavy landscape fabric,newspapers and cardboard to keep the weeds out.

• Here this will help. Should be a minimum of 15 inches deep, preferably more. Have fun!

• Shirley Shirley on Jun 18, 2017
    Never use hay. It is full of seeds of many ki nds that you do not want to grow.

• Chris* Chris* on Jun 18, 2017
    Thanx, everyone!! What GREAT advice!! I can't wait to start planting!! Chris*