More soil for my cukes?

+3
I planted cukes almost two weeks ago and they have sprouted. They're so cute. Lol. Anyway I notice the soil has settled to about half of what I put in. My question is should I add more soil and have them grow through that second layer or wait and attempt to remove, soil and replace them? Or should I just leave them alone? Soil is about 4 to 5 inches deep

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 28, 2018

are they in the ground or in pots

• JoeyMarie Jms JoeyMarie Jms on Jun 29, 2018
      Technically, pots. It's an old ceramic sink with good drainage. Thank you for responding.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 29, 2018
    yes I would add some more soil

• Myfivecents Myfivecents on Jun 29, 2018
    I would leave them alone. If, once they are taller and it looks as if they are struggling in the amount of soil they have, then add some, but don't put a lot right next to the stem. The root systems on cukes is not large, so the less you disturb them the better they will grow. If you plant them in the same place next year, be sure to add more soil. I usually always add more knowing it will settle with watering. Actually, you could tamp it down slightly and keep adding soil until it is to the top of the container. It will still settle some more anyway.

• JoeyMarie Jms JoeyMarie Jms on Jul 03, 2018
    Awesome! Thank you!