How do you replace a old sliding door with "french doors'

I have a glass sliding door going to the outside backyard, and I want to change it with French doors, what measurements do I need to make and will the threshold be the same or will I need to redo that also?
  • Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 17, 2017
    We did this same thing in a house built in the 60's with a 8' patio door. We special ordered an 8' patio door from Anderson Windows and it went in well. The threshold for us was fine. Measure your current patio door length and width and take those measurements to a homedepot or lowes. They have very knowledgeable staff in the home improvement window and door dept and they be able to help you further. One hint get the grids inside the glass now instead of grid inserts. Much easier to keep clean and wash the windows

• Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jun 17, 2017
    A new pre-hung set of French doors will come with a threshold. Just remove the sliding door and screw the new French door in its place.

• Mir Graham Mir Graham on Jun 18, 2017
    They should be interchangable. I purchased my french doors prehung so that I could replace and not worry about retrofitting. The threshhold should be removed and come new with the french doors.