I live in a relatively new double wide mobile home. I believe it is drywall, tape and textured. Can I wall paper over it or what other option do I have to give some umph to my walls? So tired of plain paint! Thanks
  16 answers
  • Hope Williams Hope Williams on Feb 05, 2015
    It might be vinyl covered drywall too. Can you post a pic in comments?

  • Joni Elder Joni Elder on Feb 05, 2015
    a lot of your new mobile homes are dry walled, I would say why not, just research proper prep, you might need to sand some of the texture off the wall to ensure proper adhesion to the wall.

  • Simple Southern Charm Simple Southern Charm on Feb 05, 2015
    How about adding some umph and texture with a pretty metsllic plaster? My favorite is modern masters. It's super user friendly and will add dimensions, texture and a hint of sparkle.

  • Gino Lewis Gino Lewis on Feb 05, 2015
    If it has a shine to it, it's probably vinyl covered- paint a small spot & see if it peels off. Nothing actually sticks to it so you will have to sand it

  • Carol Grimes Carol Grimes on Feb 05, 2015
    If it is drywall, you would do it just like any other wall, if it is semi-gloss or gloss you will have to sand first, then use sizing, and put up your wall-paper. But Wall-paper is very expensive. On a 7 foot ceiling, say 20 feet wide you are looking at 140 square feet. You will probably pay around $150.00 per roll for about 56 square feet, so for one wall it would be around $450.00. If it has a pattern you will need to match, that uses a lot of paper. Your best bet, as well as the least expensive would be to paint a wonderful color, then maybe one wall an accent wall. I have light taupe walls, with a rich dark red wall. My pictures show up beautifully. Also, if you ever want to change, it is again very time consuming to take off wall-paper and expensive. Plus, if you ever want to sell, your buyers may not like your choices. There is so many beautiful paints around, I just finished a kitchen for a client, and she wanted a metallic accent wall, so I used a bronze paint from the Martha Stewart collection. She put up pictures that complimented that wall. It is beautiful. I also put up Crown molding which gave the room a very "expensive" and glamorous look. I hope this helped.

    • See 1 previous
    • Joann Jarvis Joann Jarvis on Feb 05, 2015
      Thank you, you have given me food for thought.

  • Stephany Scoggins Stephany Scoggins on Feb 05, 2015
    You could do what I did. We had horrible old paneling in a house we inherited. So I took a big bucket of dry wall joint compound textured right over it. I filled the grooves in the paneling first and let them dry. Then, I textured the walls using a medium sized spackle knife and short random crossing strokes. Kinda like icing a cake. If you have the little molding strips that the cover the joints where the wall board meets...you will have to remove them, mud first and tape them, then mud again and let dry.. . Now if you go over paneling you have to prime the surface, one time or another. Which I would suggest any how, with any surface. If you don't then the stain is pulled up through to the surface of the compound. You will have to paint over the compound. Either way, doesn't matter... but if you don't when you paint the walls the stains will come through your paint. I painted mine a soft med/ light beige green...then glazed over it with a medium brown antique glaze. It looks like beautiful old textured plaster. Every one that sees it, loves it. I have done this before, it holds up fairly and it covers a multitude of sins. If it does get whacked fairly hard it will chip, some what, but it is an easy fix.You can do it as smooth or rough as you like or comb in a patter,

  • William Tillis William Tillis on Feb 05, 2015
    A remodeling contractor would have two options. First, remove the existing drywall and install new. Second, contact the manufacturer of the home and ask for information about resurfacing the walls and specifications as to what type of drywall it is. Armed with information, you will be able to make wise decisions as to what you should do.

    • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Feb 05, 2015
      @William Tillis Calling the manufacturer is a really good idea. Then you know what you're working with - or against - before going through trial and error.

  • Dobi Dobi on Feb 05, 2015
    Hi! We just painted our entire kitchen, the walls were vinyl coated wallboard and all we had to do was make sure that the walls were clean first, then we put on a primer so that we knew that the walls would take the color and then we painted two coats of the color that we picked out. We have wainscotting so we painted the top one color and the bottom a second color, if I can upload the pics that I took I will add them! The room looks fantastic!!

  • Dobi Dobi on Feb 05, 2015
    these are some pics of the kitchen redo! you will see on the first one a small portion of what the wall board used to look like and what it looks like now. We installed granite countertops and redid the floor using bamboo wood flooring! It turned out beautiful! don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, you just have to get the right advise!

  • Stacy Stacy on Feb 05, 2015
    Id think you could put a coat of kilz on first then paint or do any faux finish. Lowes carries a Venetian plaster that would look beautiful. There are many techniques on you tube.

  • Patty Patty on Feb 05, 2015
    Yes you can,,just make sure you use a good primer first!!,,I do this a lot in old and new DW's

  • Ellen DeVilbiss Ellen DeVilbiss on Feb 05, 2015
    If your wall is textured be aware that texture will show through wallpaper unless you use an expensive backer paper or sand the wall smooth. Try some different painting techniques and you will save $$ and trouble.

  • LoveLee3 LoveLee3 on Feb 05, 2015
    Yes, you can easily. I didn`t even use primer, just good wallpaper paste. Some of the walls had a bit of texture, so I used a heavier wallpaper. The others, I just used a regular paper. Been up and still looking good after 17 years

  • Slgibbs1 Slgibbs1 on Feb 21, 2015
    The problem with some manufactured homes is shifting and settling. This causes the seams to ever so slightly crack. If there are little strips on the wall that stick out, I would leave it alone. Newer ones may have real wallboard and you should be fine.

  • LoveLee3 LoveLee3 on Feb 22, 2015
    I removed the strips on mine, filled in with a bit of drywall compound and sanded a bit. I papered over the vinyl also, no problem. Just use good paste. Like I said been up 17 years

  • Joyce Joyce on Oct 10, 2015
    I also did this and it came out beautifully.