Is it worth it to replace windows?

+2
Windows are 25 years old. Some are great but the ones that get a lot of sun are toast. We have 25 windows so huge amount of money. We plan to sell in 5-10 years.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 07, 2017
    It can be a huge expense honestly. But studies do show that homeowners get back nearly 80% of window replacement costs when they eventually sell. So if you're planning on selling in a couple of years you might consider replacing the windows.

• Dar Dar on Jun 07, 2017
    Yes it is. We saw a drastic drop in our utility bill as well as noise reduction. My husband is handy so he replaced ours. The internet is a good source for instructions. You might start with the ones that face the north or west if you don't want to replace all at once. Those with some type of heat reducer work best. Hope this helps.

• BabyBoomerSC BabyBoomerSC on Jun 07, 2017
    Although an expense now, you'll save on heating/cooling bills and if you decide to sell, it will help - especially if you can purchase windows with a transferrable warranty.
    I'd get a couple of quotes, find out about the warranty if you move (would it transfer to new owners) and see what you're up against. We had Window World do ours a few years ago and they were reasonably priced and their warranty does transfer.

• Emily Emily on Jun 08, 2017
    Our house is 112 years old and we have never replaced windows except in one case to let more light in. But I guess it depends on the wear. And of course that would depend on where you live. too much sun is not a problem in Maine. Maybe just do ones you think are worn.

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 08, 2017
    my windows are 65 years old. I've been redoing the caulking etc to stop the air leaks. not well maintained- my place used to be a rental property. at this point...they still function if maintained.