30 year old house, should I demolish it?

+3
My House is nearly thirty years old with three Bedrooms; a large Verandah, a kitchen and a Bathroom, fully tiled.. I find some cracks on the wall in the kitchen and in a room. I am planning to demolish the whole house and build it again.
Is my idea Good or Bad?
  • Raymond Pittam Raymond Pittam on Jun 05, 2017
    LOL, I take houses 150 years old with cracks, rotted out beams, and Plaster falling off the wall. I would like to see photos of this house. It cost a lot to tear down a house, Plus you have to go through all kinds ofenvionmental permits as well as razing Permits and Bonds as well as Liability protecting the City and County . I would hardly ever tear a standing building down. You can save yourself a lot of un-needed expense to either sell as is or get a refurbishing Permit. A house is worthless if it does not breath Cracks are from settling ot a malfunction in the structure. Contractors will tell you anything to get into your land. The reaso is many Land Grabbers will start out with something small and before you knoe it they run the Bills up to where you either file Bankruptcy or sell it for a lot less than you could have before even starting, Use Common sense, Get not two, But at least Five Bids on restructuring the building. You already have collateral in the property, do not destroy it. I say, if it was myself, that old shell has dollar worth. a bare land has very little.

• SLO SLO on Jun 05, 2017
    BAD!!! I lived in a house that was built in the 50's that had a crack that ran from one side of the ceiling to the other side (earthquake country). All that was needed was repaired. Life gives our homes character and one wants a home that has that lived in feeling. You don't want to tear down your home and start over. Think of the cost and time to rebuild a house and all the headaches you would get. Take the advice from Raymond and call contractors in and get bids to repair. Trust me I was a permit runner for a company and weekly I would butt heads with Building & Safety departments in different cities and each and everyone has their hoops they want you jump thru. Just make sure the contractors you call for bids are licensed and bonded. You can call the BBB and check on them. Ask around about a contractor and you can also ask your Building & Safety department for names they would get bids from for themselves. Know anyone that has had repairs done? Think smart my friend and remember also your neighbors I'm sure would not want you to change the look of your neighborhood.

• Presheila Presheila on Jun 05, 2017
    Pics would be a help to dish out advise...

• Presheila Presheila on Jun 05, 2017
    Bad idea!!!
    Old houses are HOME. Full of character.
    Built to last too.
    So if you are able to seek out advice on whether it is structural damage or cosmetic damage, that will be the foundation of the decision you make for the changes you want.
    Please note that building materials of today are not of the strongest quality so it may cost you more to rebuild and repair the new than it would be to do a "fixer-upper"
    The rest would be cosmetic changes - paint, upgrade plumbing and furnishings etc.
    Enjoy!

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Jun 05, 2017
    30 year old house is not that old! Unless it was done super cheap and is completely falling apart, an overall repair and updating would make it perfect. Now, if you've got the money and have dreamed of a home designed to your specs, thats a different story.

• Suzanne Novoselac Suzanne Novoselac on Jun 05, 2017
    I had a house that was built in 1877 that was structurally sound. It was a Queen Anne Victorian. I put about $80K into it (new siding, new floor on the front porch, new furnace/water heater, etc.) It was a beautiful house, and people would drive by just to look at it. I wouldn't tear down a 30 year old house for anything! My brother lives in a neighborhood in Los Angeles that was originally built in the late '50's/early '60's. It's charming! BUT someone bought the house next door to him, tore it down and built a McMansion. It ruined the look and feel of the whole neighborhood!