Happy Tuesday y'all! I havent posted much other than some comments. I have been doctoring a kitty (two to three times a day! And he is doing well now, he is healed up!)
So I have been looking for a piece for my kitchen. I SERIOUSLY lack counter space lol. I spied this buffet at a local place...well, it's in Iowa. lol. I looked at it, and knew it was the piece I had been looking for to re- purpose for myself to use.
Buffet Piece, Becoming a Kitchen Island-in Progress :)
The drawers needed filled in a few places, and there was a place in the top that also needed attention.
Drawers were removed for repair. Oh, I see my "helper" is hard at work. LOL. That's Gemma. (she's usually lazing about., go figure.) The handles are actually Bakelite, but one is really in bad shape. I WILL save them, but am going to replace them. Probably with something a bit sturdier.
A good cleaning, cobwebs removed (and who-knows-what-kind-of-gunk) and she's ready for a base coat of AS Duck Egg. I chose that for the base coat, as it is a nice complement to colors I have in my kitchen and living room, and it will be lightly distressed so I wanted this color to show a bit.
This is an ongoing project, and will update it as it progresses. The base coat is on, and am starting the top coat tomorrow. :)
...I hadnt posted the " after photos, ..so here they are. The middle piece, I wanted to have it look different from the other finish on it, so its Duck Egg Blue. dry brushed and distressed a little.I did the stencil in the middle to add some interest to the plain front.
...up close look at the door fronts. Sanding is your friend, and gives you the finish you desire....I dont skip sanding. lol. I purchased the hardware at Hobby Lobby, ( on sale ) and then dry brushed it to ' soften it' a bit, and sealed it.
..This is one of the drawers , with the base coat of AS Duck Egg Blue....which is already sanded, wiped with a tack cloth...and ready for the two coats of the Behr satin finish.
..One final photo of the inset on the buffet turned Kitchen Island...I loved this detail of the center oval on it, it was one of he reasons I bought the piece. I am putting beadboard on the back of the piece, which is now the " front', since it faces out into the kitchen...and still searching for the " right top ' to come along.. also putting wrought iron brackets on it to extend the top of i( a slight overhang, on the ' now-front of it'... ) when I find the " something' I wish to have for the top . :) .I'm using it in the meantime, but cant wait to actually 'finish it up "...!
Published March 24th, 2015 8:49 PM