How can I change my kitchen cabinets cheap and easy?

• William William on Jan 06, 2019

Paint.

How to Paint Cabinets

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like KILZ. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jan 06, 2019

You could stencil a pretty design on them and paint them or put some decorative wood pieces on them and change handles

• Katie Sara Creates Katie Sara Creates on Jan 08, 2019

Hi Eva!

For our oak cabinets, I started by removing all of the drawers and doors, and as I did that, I labelled them so I knew which piece belonged with which part of the built-in units.

I then prepped all of the wood with Krud Krutter (not just the stuff meant for cleaning - they have product that specifically meant for paint prep).

After it dried, I filled in the wood grain with putty and sanded it smooth (you really only have to do this if you have oak cabinets because the grain is so deep. You also don't have to do this if you don't mind the grain showing through the new paint).

Next, I used a paint sprayer to cover everything with a solid layer of primer (Behr has product designed specifically for cabinets). After drying, I used the sprayer to add a couple coats of my final paint colour (again, Behr has awesome, enamel-based product for this type of project).

Once again, I let everything dry and then put each piece back in its original place.

I also cleaned and spray painted the original hardware to give it a fresh, modern look, which helped us save money (brand new hardware can be expensive depending on the size of you kitchen)!

I hope this helps.