Can I put vinyl tiles over old ceramic tiles?

my kitchen is very small and have ceramic old looking tiles, I will like to have a new floor but don't want to remove the tiles. thank you

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 27, 2017
    I wouldn't, the vinyl over time will meld into the grout lines showing the tile pattern.

• Harleyron74 Harleyron74 on Dec 28, 2017
    Vinyl tiles won't stick to the slick ceramic very well so I wouldn't use it.
    Sheet vinyl of the non-glued type could be used but the grout lines will need to be filled flush with more grout so the vinyl won't get a grout pattern transfer. I would also use the heaviest vinyl available so it lays flat and pattern transfer is minimized.

• Stacey Reynolds Stacey Reynolds on Dec 28, 2017
    You could do that, however you would have to sand the floor really good and it may not last as long as expected. I'm an artist and in my opinion i would go buy a stencil pattern that you love! Clean the floor really good and let dry. Then take paint and on each tile use your stencil and paint each one. Once all done and completely dry you will have to seal it. Your new floor would look awesome and it would add your own touch since you get to pick your pattern design and do it yourself! You can buy the paint, stencil and seal coat all at walmart for very cheap. You could even add a thick border around the room and then stencil in. Disguise the limit! Good luck!!