Can we update kitchen without spending thousands of dollars?

+2
We need new cabinets, countertops, backsplash and sink. We are retired and live on a limited budget. We have decided to try to do this ourselves. The sentiments we have received were from 27 thousand up to 60-70 thousand. Not in the budget. Was hoping for advice on doing it ourselves for much less. Is that possible? This would be our last remodel project in our home of 40 years.

• Pattie Plaster Pattie Plaster on Jun 26, 2018
    that should say estimates not sentiments, sorry.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 26, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/categories/make-over/kitchen

• Bev Bev on Jun 26, 2018
    Check out online ideas for some super 'do it yourself' (Pinterest and Hometalk are both great places to get ideas). I painted my cabinets, added open shelving, used concrete (and hypertufa) for counter tops AND I made my own concrete tiles for the back spash. It takes TIME, but it's cheap and very rewarding. I purchased a new sink and faucet and you can't get much cheaper than concrete. Check out recipes for 'hypertufa', it's a perfect replacement for HEAVY concrete. I'm 71 and spent less than $2,000 but I didn't have to replace cabinets

• DD DD on Jun 26, 2018
    Pat as long as you don't change the layout (move the sink, stove etc) and depending on the size of the kitchen you might be able to do the kitchen for 1/2 that or less.
    Pictures and or dimensions of the room would help but lets get you at least going in a better direction.
    First if you leave everything as is you can take the dimensions of the cabinets and appliances and look at in stock cabinets at one of the big box stores and check out the they have their appliance sales or even discontinued models to save on the appliances.
    You can get the counter tops and backsplash tile their also.
    You can also check if you have a habitat for Humanity resale store in your area they may have something you can use.
    The estimates that you got seem really high end or very over priced, please let me know if I can further assist and I would love to hear how your project is going once you get started. Good luck!!

• L. Creative L. Creative on Jun 26, 2018
    If you paint your cabinets and get a new countertop add a backsplash and you can make a new kitchen on the cheap. Even if the countertop is the only thing you farm out to have done professionally you will be very happy and nowhere NEAR the estimates you recieved. Have fun!