How can i spruce up my dingy apartmemt kitcken cabinets

+2
They have thid tacky brown contact paper on them but it is peeling off into strips amd pieces...it is really unsightly....apartmemt owner said i could do what i wanted....but it has been really hard to remove rest of contact paper....please help

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Dec 26, 2017
    I guess you’ll have to finish pulling it off. If there is sticky residue afterwards you’ll have to clean off. Your best bet would be to paint the cabinets since he’s given you carte blanche To do what you want. You’ll find plenty of instructions here on Hometalk on best way to paint.

• Ken Ken on Dec 26, 2017
    Wish all those folks who post projects using Contact paper would see this. Like duct tape it starts out nice but over a relatively short time things get ugly.

I've got a long-handled (about as long as a hammer) scraper that has a razor-like blade at the end. Also smaller scrapers that use single-edge razor blades. Using these to help while you pull the contact paper off will likely be your best bet. Wipe the cabinets with mineral spirits when you are done to remove adhesive residue.

Then it's sand, sand, sand then clean with a household degreaser and water before you paint.

• Mar24830813 Mar24830813 on Dec 27, 2017
    I used a hair dryer to heat the paper first, it then came out in larger sections with a scraper. I then cleaned with a degreaser and painted with chalk paint. It made a huge difference. Good luck!