How can I update my 1955 very dark KnottyPine kitchen?

+6
The walls and the cabinets are of knottypine. Two windows, one on the east side, one on the south side. Help!!

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 06, 2017
    The most dramatic way is to lighten it up. Paint the cabinets and the walls a lighter color and install a new countertop to match. Change out dark appliances with white or stainless steel and add bright accessories and curtains/window treatments. If you have a tight budget, start with painting the walls first - a lighter, brighter color. Then paint the cabinets next. Do the counter tops and appliances as your budget allows.

• Darlene Ryan Lutton Darlene Ryan Lutton on Dec 06, 2017
      Of course the 1955 Pine has heavy shellac and deep grooves. Is there anything special I need to do to get the paint to adhere? Are there special products to help with that to make it easier?

• Hi Darlene! Yes, for sure you can lighten it up and make a wonderful space. And yes, you for sure will need a special primer for the shellac on the wood. I highly recommend using this bonding primer! It is water clean up and sticks really well, so that you can avoid the frustration of paint scratching off. I would lightly sand the shiny finish first, and wash any grease off, (ammonia in water cuts grease great!) Then when totally dry, prime, let dry completely and paint with 2 coats of latex paint. We've been renovating our latest project and I've been super happy with this paint. (even though it like most paint says primer and paint... for this project you would still need to use the special bonding primer first!)
    White on white is always classic and beautiful and will for sure lighten it up! Here's a post I wrote several years ago, so some things are a bit dated, but still this post is super popular because it shows such a great transformation!

• If you can share some pictures, we could give you some more detailed advice... if you're looking for that? :)

• Becky Becky on Dec 06, 2017
    I'd consider keeping the knotty pine as it is a classic and may be appropriate for the house's era - but I get it, I grew up with a darkish wood kitchen and did not like it. One way to brighten up is white cotton curtains on the windows. White dishes, dish towels, etc. White is actually easily laundered, bleached when needed. White light fixtures, cabinet knobs, canisters, etc. Painting the walls will be easier than painting the cupboards, so that would be a next step if you want to go that way, or maybe even a light wallpaper border near the top of the walls (not seeing the room, it's hard to suggest anything specific).

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 06, 2017
    oMG! Hate knotty pine! Very carefully fill the knots with wood putty or sparkle, sand when dry. Thoroughly wash to remove cooking goop and years of dirt. Paint and pretend it's vertical shiplap.

Yes! You can sand the shellac finish or use a product called Liquid Sand that's a liquid that roughs the surface so paint will adhere. You should take photos of the cabinets or take one of the cabinet doors to the paint department of a home improvement store and ask for advice from the pros. Have fun!

Liquid Sandpaper

Thank you all for your answers. They are all very helpful! I will be looking for some of these products.