How can you update kitchen tile counters without removing them?

+2
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jun 11, 2017
    There are a ton of really cool ideas here on Hometalk- check it out! http://www.hometalk.com/14575105/s-13-ways-to-transform-your-countertops-without-replacing-them I'm excited to see what you choose!

• JANE MOERING JANE MOERING on Jun 11, 2017
      thanks ...I will check them out and when done post a picture...this is for my adult daughter, however so may not happen!!! (Mom never knows best!!! )

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 11, 2017
    There are some very nice countertops, but almost all of them involve applying a new countertop on top of the original top.
    ch. To keep the same tile counter top and perhaps some back splash, I have a few tidbits. First clear absolutely everything off of the the countertops, even the microwave and coffee pot. Second, use bleach water to clean every bit of the tile. Third, wash again with bleach water to clean the grout without disturbing it. Fourth, if the grout is still not clean, you can use a grout pen with is basically WhiteOut. Much cheaper is to paint the grout with acrylic paint and a 2-4" brush, using only the sides of the brush. Let this paint dry thoroughly. Fifth, if this is enough, paint a couple of thin coats of water resistant, food safe, acrylic sealer, let it dry, and be happy. Sixth, if the cleaning was not enough improvement, I suggest you get a few sheets of adhesive block backsplash. You measure the width of the countertops all the way to the fridge or cooktop or the end of the cabinets. Decide how tall you want the backsplash, as long as it will divide into 12 evenly. I.e, 2. 4, 6, or 12 inches tall. If you have ten feet of countertop, and you want a six inch backsplash, then divide 12 by 6, giving you two backsplash strips from each 12" block of backsplash. Divide ten feet by two strips, and you need five feet or blocks of the backsplash. I bought some of the blocks at Home Depot for $1 each On the bottom (cheap) shelf. Sixth, you have to use tile adhesive right on top of your tiles to put the blocks in place, and then they will need to be grouted in. Clean it up and you have a lovely modern and inexpensive counter. If this doesn't suit you, use one of the fifteen suggestions on the site Hillela provided. Best wishes 😇

• Marianne Patyk Marianne Patyk on Jun 11, 2017
    for Put a trellis up for climbing vines or if you can't do that because HOA try different wind chimes

oops wrong comment for other ? I found home depot have kits to DIY how and you want to pick from..