How do I change up my kitchen cabinets on a shoestring budget?

+3
We had a fire in our kitchen and I am taking the opportunity to change the look of my 1929 Tudor. Of course insurance is only covering so much repair and I want to change the look of my kitchen cabinets, so it’s on a shoestring budget. I like the farmhouse look for my style. What can I do with those maple cabinets to bring them up to speed?
q how do i change up my kitchen cabinets on a shoestring budget
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 14, 2018
    Do you want to paint or stain the cabinets?

• Sandy Goff Williams Sandy Goff Williams on Jun 15, 2018
      I was reall thinking antique farmhouse. Just not sure I want to cover up all that pretty 50 year old maple.

• Christy D. Assid Christy D. Assid on Jun 14, 2018
    I would sand down the cabinets, a bit, use chalk paint in my favorite color, then distress in the black, white, or a complimentary color. Afterwards, add wax, or another sealer. If you want to spend a bit, more, you could replace the hardware, or even the doors. There are so many hardware choices, that you can change to look, completely, just be changing, or even foregoing the hardware. If you forego the hardware, you'll need to fill the holes with wood-filler, before you paint. Good luck!

• Happy Days Hometalker Happy Days Hometalker on Jun 14, 2018
    I would paint them with Rustoleum cabinet transformation found at Home Depot. My son painted our kitchen cabinets 5 years ago, I touch up now and then, it completely changes the look in your kitchen, I was pleased with the results. Very affordable and easy to do.

• William William on Jun 14, 2018
    Paint is the cheapest.

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.