How do I improve my old cupboards without buying new

+4
q how do i improve my old cupboards without buying new
What can I do to make more room and up date without buying new
  • 9009393 9009393 on May 27, 2017
    You might try: taking the doors off, filling the holes from the hinges in the cabinet frames and repainting, then use large mason jars or baskets to store things in with no doors at all. Often, just putting up new doors alone is enough to update a kitchen if you can afford that. You might try adding snazzier looking hardware. That helps quite a bit. Try hammered copper or brushed nickel hardware depending on if you have a traditional or more modern look. I've seen some nice effects with the center of the doors cut out and with chicken wire installed behind the opening. If you are artistic, you can add accents of flowers, geometric forms in the corners or in the center of the doors. Or try paint spatters in your accent colors or some interesting borders or stripes with colored tape. Decoupage fabric on the front of the doors or fussy cut motifs from the fabric and decoupage them on the door. There are also some awesome special effects paints. Think of your doors as blank canvases! Good luck!

• Tracey Tracey on May 27, 2017
    I actually love the vintage look of the the cupboards. I personally think a hardware change would make all the difference in the world.

• Michelle Masterson Michelle Masterson on May 27, 2017
    Nora gave you several great ideas - but if you don't feel you have the confidence to do any of those ideas. Sometimes "Less is More" I would start by finding a new home for all the stuff on the counter a new home. Keep what you use daily. I would paint the appliance garage the same color as my cabinets. I think to start out the easiest transformation would be change the hardware(knobs, hinges and draw pulls) That might give you the lift you need for doing something different with your cabinets. Another pick me up might be adding a back splash. Check into your local Lowes or Home Depot to see if they will be offering a class to gain confidence.
    I painted my counter top with acrylic paint to look like granite and it takes real skill to add the epoxy. That would be the only other upgrade I can offer as an idea.

Please come back and post what you do!

Michelle

• Trudy Trudy on May 27, 2017
    Lots of good ideas listed already. Taking off the scalloped wood trim would really help to update your look.

• Linda Hockey Linda Hockey on May 27, 2017
    I think I might go ahead and put different hardware and paint my garage I also thought maybe a different color I just don't know what color. Thanks everyone for the advice . I can't do anything yet we have to finish our other projects first

• Nancy Lee Hayward Nancy Lee Hayward on May 28, 2017
    You could do upper cabinets a different color then the lower cabinets n add cute hardware the different color cabinets are in style n has the older cabinets are in style also

• Deana Thaxton Samms Deana Thaxton Samms on May 29, 2017
    I would take off the scalloped trim and paint the cabinets a dove gray, then us pipe fittings or wrought iron for the handles and drawer pulls. Add tin or galvanized buckets on the open shelves to go with the industrial theme.