I need an updated kitchen

+2
should i just switch the doors on my cabinet and then just paint? Should I lay tile in my kitchen floor or match the oak floors in the rest of the house? What kind of countertops should I use that's less care granite or what?

• Dfm Dfm on Jul 05, 2018

a wise old man gave me some advice when updating, remodeling my home. you don't want to over improve for your neighborhood. he suggested to calculate the price per square foot of living space- mine came to 25 usd. that was for a house of 2700sq feet. so calculate the sq footage of the kitchen and price it out. that should help you with a budget. if your house is smaller keep the flooring constant thru the house.

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jul 05, 2018
    You need to get some solid ideas of what you want, Kathleen. It's a job you want to be pleased with and love for a long time. Take your time and look at many different applications out there. Here are a few for you to mull over. Have fun with it!

• 27524803 27524803 on Jul 05, 2018
    At this point you can do anything you want... depending on your skill level and budget, of course.
    -Need better function....convert lower cabinets by converting to drawers.. you can even keep them behind the existing doors
    -Paint is one of the least expensive and most transforming way to update on a budget.... and if you don't like the results... just re-paint
    -Low maintenance counter tops.... many of the Tv DIY shows consider Quartz counter tops to be the easiest to maintain... there is none.... granite, and especially marble more requirements for up keep... as does butcher block..... and Quartz can come in finishes and patterns that mimic marble or granite... as well as in many colors.
    -Flooring... depending on what you currently have (and their condition).. you could extend existing wood flooring into the kitchen.... then just sand and refinish the whole thing... or just match what finish you have.
    Do some research: check out DIYnetwork.com or HGTV.com and find a look that you like... for the cabinets, floors, paint colors.... you may not find ONE kitchen that has everything you like... so print off the pictures to create a "story board" or plan... these colors, this floor, etc.

• Janice Janice on Jul 05, 2018
    If you have the time, go tour the model homes in a new housing development. They will be showing the latest trends and you'll be able to see and feel which designs you like the best. Take pics and then decide what YOU really want in YOUR kitchen. Sometimes just painting old cabinetry is an easy and rather inexpensive fix. Decide the colors you're most happy with and go with that. Quartz is great for counter tops as it is very easy to care for but is a fairly expensive choice. Continuing the oak through your kitchen would be a good choice to make your home look larger and more cohesive. Please share your project with us, if you like...we'd love to see what you do!

• Hi Kathleen - We recently updated our kitchen floor. It may help with a little inspiration on your remodel list. Good luck! Hugs, Holly