My friend has cabinets that are made out of particle board

+1
She is an old house,her kitchen cabinets are in good shape except that they are particle boards and they have some vinyl covering over them can I remove that and put something else on there too give it an updated look.

• Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    Particle board cabinets are just a bad idea. But you have what you have. Remove the vinyl and paint them. You don't need a special paint, any good enamel will do the job. More coats will hide the particle board but you need to sand smooth between each coat. I'm a fan of Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch line. Good paint.

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Dec 28, 2017
    I think particle board will fall apart when you try to remove the vinyl. You might try a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the vinyl and peel it off. Before you start, think about what you would put over it. Also, could you put something over the vinyl and not remove it. I recently bought a vanity at auction that was gouged particle board. I went to Lowe's and got a piece of paneling that looked like bead board. I cut it to size and glued it to the front using a nail gun. It turned out great. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Jerry Jerry on Dec 29, 2017
    Are the fronts and doors and drawer fronts also particle board? The insides of the cabinets--the "boxes"-- are often melamine covered particle board that can't really be peeled off. The exteriors might be this also and could be painted with a bit of prep. Talk to the person at the paint store about this or search the internet that never lies on how to do this prep. Spray painting the exteriors might be the best answer for a good finish, brush or roller or spray for interiors if you need to paint in there too.