need quotes for installing a woodstove.

i have the stove and two sections of 2 1/2 ft single wall pipe,need everthing else. hearth,the rest of the chimney. live in a single leval brick ranch. please let me know,thanks!
  15 answers
  • You need more then that. You need permits, you need a hearth to set the stove on, you need a protective wall constructed so you do not catch the wall on fire from the heat that a stove can produce. You need special chimney pipe as well. Very expensive stuff. I would suggest that you contact a chimney sweep in your area that is licensed as a contractor to do this type of work and have them do a look see for you for the price. It is impossible to determine what your install would cost without knowing lots of extra facts. Height to ceiling, craws space, basement, slab? How heavy is it? What size flue pipe? What kind of hearth do you want, Brick or just a fireproofing type? You can expect to spend over $1,500 at a low starting point however. But i suspect it will be much higher then that when all is said and done. One thing I would suggest. Do not purchase any used flue pipe or chimney pipes. Quite often the sealing between the sections become faulty once they are taken apart after being together for any length of time.

  • Phil R Phil R on Dec 01, 2011
    wow,thanks for the info. i bought a wood stove because i cant afford gas or electric heat anymore. if i had $1500(or more) that would be an issue. i guess you get screwed one way or another.

  • Phil R Phil R on Dec 01, 2011

  • Paul M Paul M on Dec 01, 2011
    Woodbridge why are you such a legalist? This country was built on ingenuity and self motivation, not inspectors or permits. Of course there is a place for that as well but your knee jerk reaction to everything is permits. That aside Phil you don't necessarily need a permit. What you do need is someone who has the ability to come see what you have, assess your situation and then make appropriate recommendations about what needs to be done. The extent of your need will determine what you need to acquire. As for stove pipe I would never use anything less that the double wall, insulated, stainless steel stove pipe. Yes it isn't cheap but it will last forever and won't ever discolor or rust on you. In the end what you do will be determined by what you want and how long you want it to be that way.

  • Phil R Phil R on Dec 01, 2011
    thanks paul. do you know someone near marietta that can give me a price? and that knows what theyre doing?

  • Itsreally C Itsreally C on Dec 01, 2011
    not sure about permits however you do need ( according to code ) non-combustible walls within 3' including the floor - single wall pipe is another no-no ! btu's avail from wood can't compare to gas. however, IF you can cut down, transport, split, stack, season, etc, more power to you - at least houses are build w/firestops these days. whatever you do, be prepared to invest more when you go to sell & find out it won't pass muster. good luck !

  • Phil R Phil R on Dec 01, 2011
    thanks brother!

  • Phil here is some useful information about wood stoves and wood burning in general. Paul, Almost all communities in the US follow CABO and the National Fire codes which have extensive requirements when it comes to installing Solid fuel heating appliances in a residential setting. My stating to get a permit is for Phil' s safety. Unless you have facts saying that in Marietta GA they do not require this. Then that is fine. In any case I suggest that Phil check with his local building department for this information. There are two very important reasons why to do this. 1. Insurance regulations require any modification done to a home to be permitted and inspected when required. Not doing so risks cancellation of the insurance. And you can bet that they will check if Heaven forbid he has a fire. No permit, no insurance. And it happens a lot. I know I have been in homes were insurance has been denied because of no permits being pulled. 2. Current codes in some jurisdictions require standards on what stoves can and cannot be installed. Much like the emission testing in cars. Regulations are requiring stoves to be UL rated and meet set smog requirements when they are used. It would be a shame that he puts all this in and finds out that the stove must be pulled out because it does not meet the current requirements that the town or state has set in their rules. So I am not doing this because of being legalistic, I am doing it because I want the homeowner to be sure that they are not spending their hard earned money only to find out they either will not be insured or that the town may make them pull it out if they ever find out he put it in without checking first.

  • Paul M Paul M on Dec 02, 2011
    Phil I only know of a couple of people who have hooked up wood stoves for themselves. I don't know anyone personally that does that sort of work so I can't recommend anyone. I wish I could but I just don't know anyone. BTW there is a triple wall insulated pipe just for wood stoves, it is much better than even the double wall pipe.

  • Designs by BSB Designs by BSB on Dec 02, 2011
    I would suggest looking for a contractor on

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Dec 02, 2011
    I have installed a number of wood stoves. The single wall pipe is fine as long as it is used with the proper 18" clearance to combustibles. It is called stove pipe.....Chimeny pipe is the other class of "pipe". For the part that goes through the roof you will need what is called "Class A" pipe it is double walled and INSULATED...regular double wall is not. Class A pipe has a 2" to combustible rating, and this clearance is normally meet with the use of a ceiling box "cathedral adapter" or a "wall thimble" The class A pipe comes in basic galvanized or in stainless....and it ain't cheap. A 4 foot piece of class a galvanized runs about 140 with the stainless at about 175. I have always used "duravent" brand products...there are other as well. When I set up the wood stove in my master addition the piping ( and caps fittings etc) cost about 1200 bucks ten years my cabin installed a couple years ago only about 500. As There I did not need as much class A. I did an install for a client in which we used over 2 grand worth of Class A alone. This was a long 2 story run that also needed supports etc. I have obtained my materials from they have some of the best prices. This can be done as a DY but you need to follow the codes for clearances, materials etc. Many original Building codes were first "invented" to prevent people from burning down their homes. Ben Franklin the inventor of the "Franklin Stove" and founder of the first fire department ...was a big proponent of doing things in a "safe" manner, as any homeowner should be.

  • Itsreally C Itsreally C on Dec 02, 2011
    i did my own, too - 1 in the bsmt family room & 1 above it in the 1st floor great room - give me a call if you want some help - best

  • Cobb County does require inspecions for Mechanical Roughs incuding prefab fireplaces. I don't know offhand whether a wood stove requires a building permit. It's not that hard to find out. Call Cobb County and ask. I understand that some homeowners think they are saving money if they don't bother with permits. Woodbridge pointed out some reasons to be sure you pull permits when required. Let me point out also that even if you do it yourself without permits, when you sell your home, there will be a question on your disclosure form about work performed without required permits. Additionally required inspections may help assure code compliance (whether from fear of discovery or actual discovery). Additionally Cobb does have bond requirements which help consumers.

  • Phil R Phil R on Dec 03, 2011
    thank you all for the info,greatly appreciated!!!!

  • had you lived in a condo. apartment, duplex, or row house, advice would have differed - good catch, kevin !