Removed the bar! Now what to do with this end...

So, my hubby tore out the bar while I was out of town (and had the good sense to call a cleaning lady to come clean up the dust he spread throughout the house!! ha!) - but now we kind of have this weird end where the bar extended out. I thought if I just put some finial type pieces or just angled it up to meet the bar, that would be good. Any suggestions?? I love how much better it looks now. I'm painting our countertops so that the connecting groove won't show as much once I sand down the putty etc.
q removed the bar now what to do with this end, countertops, kitchen design, Shows the wall longer than the counter suggestions
Shows the wall longer than the counter, suggestions?
q removed the bar now what to do with this end, countertops, kitchen design, Maybe a not so helpful angle
Maybe a not so helpful angle...
q removed the bar now what to do with this end, countertops, kitchen design, New bar Well with work to do
New bar!! Well, with work to do!
  4 answers
  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Jul 27, 2012
    Are you planning to replace the counter any time soon?...If it were my place I would design in a slightly bigger counter and put a couple of corbels in there to support that over hang....If the top is staying for some time I would try to angle the corner a bit. drywall and paint...would minimize the funky look.

  • Traci W Traci W on Jul 27, 2012
    Prob won't do a complete kitchen remodel for five years or so. The over hang is secure. I'm thinking angling with drywall as well.

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jul 28, 2012
    Wow! You can do something funky if you are confident you will redo it in 5 years, but keep in mind that life does not always go according to plans and you could box yourselves into a corner! I would want to support that top with corbels. The job needs to be completed properly even if it means taking out that support post and moving it back the 2 or so inches needed. You may have to repair flooring...a few decorative tiles at the bottom will be a lot less noticable. Perhaps take up the flooring all the way around the end of the cabinet and put in a border of insets. I posted a phot o of where we put in threshold between real oak and laminate in our kitchen. Worked beautifully! There are all kinds of stunning decorative materials...many more than when I was looking! Good luck!

  • Ellen H Ellen H on Jul 28, 2012
    How about covering (wrapping) the entire end of the wall from floor to top of counter with trim, then mitering the corners and turning a piece toward the counter to fill in the gap. What I am thinking is something that would look almost like a post at the end of the wall under the counter - it could look like it was intentional to support the countertop instead of something you are trying to cover up. I'm not describing it very well but maybe if you just think of a floor to counter post, you can imagine something like what I'm imagining. No real posts involved, just flat trim.