What can I do about this ugly soffit above my cabinets to update it.

+12
What can I do to update the look of this ugly soffit.
the soffit overhangs 3” above the cabinets. I would love to have it knocked out and new cabinets installed but it’s not affordable at this time. I already know the cabinets need painted and new hardware. Please help!!!! I am desperate! Also need to do something about the ugly tile
q what can i do about this ugly soffit above my cabinets to update it
  • In photo 5 there is a vent, so clearly duct work runs behind at least part of the soffit. I would repaint the cabinets, change hardware and paint soffit same color as cabinets to make it appear bigger and brighter until you can afford to open up and reroute ducts in the soffit.

• Ro Ro on Jan 05, 2018
    You can knock out a soffit if there is no function
    it may be hiding a duct
    then you can use the top of cabinets for storage or display
    baskets etc

• Barbara Barbara on Jan 05, 2018
    The first thing you need to find out is if there is anything hidden inside the soffit. If not just remove it and install your new taller cabinets. A lot of times (if you watch hgtv shows) the soffit is hiding pipes.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 05, 2018
    Not understanding why you find the soffit “ ugly.”
    I have a feeling that if you paint the cabinets a lighter color and extend that color to the underside of your soffit, you just might be saying goodbye to ugly!
    The color paint on your soffit is exquisite!
    MaybI please ask what color you may be considering for your cupboards?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 05, 2018
    Hang some attractive Plates or Pictures or Ornaments on the soffit. Or Mirror Tiles. Add Sticky backed tiles to your backsplash - You could also use them on the soffit

• Ken Ken on Jan 05, 2018
    First thing I see is the bright orange color calling attention to a feature that you don't like. Cabinets, although not high-end look to be in good condition. Many folks paint these white for a look that they find more appealing. I like the backsplash and it would look much better with white cabinets. There are vinyl backsplash panels available in a variety of designs that just stick in place. You won't ruin that lovely tile job if you change your mind.

• Letmework Letmework on Jan 05, 2018
    I agree completely with Naomi Moore's answer. I have the exact situation in my kitchen, I wanted the soffit gone but it would have been a major expense so I opted to paint it the same color as my cabinets, and used a molding to "marry" the transition between the cabinets and the soffit to make it appear more seamless, as though the cabinets just extended up to the ceiling. Good luck, there are many things you can do to improve the look of your kitchen without spending a lot of money if you are willing to invest your own time. Just start something and it will give you the confidence to continue.

• See 1 previous
    • Letmework Letmework on Jan 06, 2018
      That’s the way mine is as well; you will need a type of molding that steps “ in” like a small crown?