What is the best type of countertop for kitchens?

+2
  • Tam13317878 Tam13317878 on May 29, 2017
    granite adds one of the most bang for your buck in terms of reselling purposes

• Ken Ken on May 30, 2017
    I'll be doing my kitchen soon and I've given this some thought. There is no end of articles and opinions on line. If there were only one best type then there likely would be only one sold in most kitchen centers.

This is the conclusion I have come to. If you have the money, get quartz. If not, plastic laminate, At the low end of the cost spectrum, Formica has a lot going for it without many of the drawbacks, like staining or easy chipping, of many of the other material choices. For the money you save, you can change your countertop a few times during the life of the kitchen as your tastes evolve or as the countertop wears. My ex -house still has the black laminate countertop I installed in 1980 and with a coat of armor-all it still looks pretty good.

That said, I agree with Tamaramudd. Granite if you are selling your house soon.

• Mary Kay Keeton Mary Kay Keeton on May 30, 2017
    quartz.....granite you can't use lemon juice or bleach around it.

• Marge Bennett Marge Bennett on May 30, 2017
    Buyers do like granite, quartz is showing up in a lot of model homes. Have seen some formic a that was hard to tell from real granite. They have some really nice edges that make it look higher end

• Cindy Cindy on May 30, 2017
    We just had granite installed. And I love it. In my opinion it wears well and adds pizzazz to the entire room. Don't forget that if you pull your tops off you will probably have to replace your back splash too. Hope this helps. Good luck.