Where to End My Backsplash.

+29
I posted a question a couple days ago about some tin ceiling tiles I hoped to use for a backsplash, but my Selina is where to end my backsplash. The previous owners put this metal sheeting stuff up and I of course plan to take it down. But I think it looks odd how it stops before the counter tops end. I have read a lot that says it should end at the last cabinet but I just think I have more counter space after mine then maybe most people have? Opinions on this are much appreciated 😊
q where to end my backsplash
q where to end my backsplash
  • William William on Dec 21, 2017
    They looked at symmetry and wall protection from the sink and coffee maker. It does look odd. Go with the tin tiles or whatever but run them all along the length of the counter. Also the empty wall to the left looks bare. Probably didn't have enough cash for extra cabinets. Maybe some open shelving stained as close to the cabinet color. Would look good. Cut the outside ends same angle as the countertop.

• Eleanor Ireland Eleanor Ireland on Dec 21, 2017
    I think the big problem is where the cupboards end!
    maybe add shelves at the same hight as the cupboards,on the bare wall.
    Then you can continue back splash the whole way.

• See 1 previous
    • Nikki Nikki on Dec 23, 2017
      I love that idea of open shelves above! That is what I think I am going to do! how Many do you think? And floatimg shelf style? I plan to paint the cabinets white too.

• Gin31256260 Gin31256260 on Dec 21, 2017
    do you want the splash back doing its job ,just for the sink, or to cover the wall? if its the former I would say, make a feature of it and just extend the splash back a little wider than the sink.This is an effect that works really well behind a cooker hob too.If its the latter then I would agree with the other comments made and soften the run of cupboards with a simple open shelf cabinet.

• See 2 previous
    • Nikki Nikki on Dec 27, 2017
      Thank you SO much!!! Your ideas have given me the much needed push I needed to get this done, I'm excited to get this done and share with you how it turns out! I love the idea for displaying mixing bowls etc... Thanks again for all of the wonderful ideas :)

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 21, 2017
    I think the empty white wall needs some decor to pull it all together

• Nikki Nikki on Dec 23, 2017
      For sure! I just moved here so I’m trying I decide what is going to look best long term. But I have so many decisions in every room of this house its Getting overwhelming so having ideas and opinions from others is so nice to have right now. 😁

Just wanted to add ,this idea is what some interior designers use to make a simple ordinary appliance cooker ,sink etc... ,shall we say, look more classy ,more expensive, more update, without spending the big bucks!

• Jam28562723 Jam28562723 on Dec 21, 2017
    An option would be to taper the metal from the end of the cabinets to the end of the counter top. This gives the impression that it builds up to the cabs.

• Dennis Paugh Dennis Paugh on Dec 21, 2017
    William that is a good answer . I would go with that . But if you can't find the right match of stain paint the shelves the same as you have under your cabinets , that would bring them together. Hop it turn's out for you . 😊

• Christine Henry Martinez Christine Henry Martinez on Dec 21, 2017
    Length of counter.

• Tina J Kempher Tina J Kempher on Dec 21, 2017
    I would take the back splash out at an angle. Angle it from the bottom of the last cabinet down to the end of the of the copboard

• Connie Connie on Dec 21, 2017
    How about cork bulletin board over that area?

• Phc28674468 Phc28674468 on Dec 21, 2017
    How about taking down and start over. Looks hard to do anything with it worthwhile.

• Nikki Nikki on Dec 23, 2017
      I am definitely taking it all down and starting over, I’m just wondering opinions on ending it where the previous owners did or extending it to the end of the counter top.

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Dec 21, 2017
    You could also consider putting up a wine rack (you can buy them unfinished and stain to match your cabinets) and a shelf or two underneath for cookbooks or wine glasses.

• Lwiler Lwiler on Dec 21, 2017
    just simple can be pretty

• Pat29114096 Pat29114096 on Dec 21, 2017
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about where a backsplash ends. Choose to end it where it is most visually pleasing to you and where it is doing its job of catching spatters. If it looks nice to you and does its job, your backsplash is perfect.

• Sheryll S Sheryll S on Dec 21, 2017
    What William said.

• Revive Revive on Dec 21, 2017
    I like what William Burbank said - to that I would add that the backsplash be cut at a 45 degree angle at the very end of the counter and go to the bottom of the wall cabinets. Then your first "open shelf" will sit nicely directly on the top of the backsplash. The shelves above the bottom shelf should possibly be staggered in length and space between.

• Jean Drake Jean Drake on Dec 21, 2017
    What’s to the left of the counter? I am putting in a backsplash over my stovetop area. Like yours, I have wall space, and then a cabinet that holds my microwave and oven. I am covering that wall with the backsplash, to make it look finished.

• Nikki Nikki on Dec 23, 2017
      To the left of the counter in the picture is just the doorway to my dining room.

• Jean Drake Jean Drake on Dec 23, 2017
    Depending on various factit’s, have you considered doing the complete wall? Or maybe chair rail up to the door?

• Nikki Nikki on Dec 27, 2017
    I did but there is a small space at the top of the doorway and on the other side of it too, and the opposite side of the room is floor to ceiling white tile that I hope to one day have taken out, So I was afraid it would make it too busy in there.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 27, 2017
    If you can afford it I would run whatever backsplash you use up to the ceiling and to the end of the countertop. Then I would put up some shelves. I would not try angle the shelves since they should only be as deep as the upper cabinets. If you are going to paint your cabinets white you might consider doing a rustic wood for your shelves to have some contrast. Good luck!

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 27, 2017
    I think its odd they stopped the cabinets where they did, get another cabinet and finish the kitchen, then install the backsplash.

• See 1 previous
    • Nikki Nikki on Dec 29, 2017
      Sorry I just noticed the ceiling above the cabinets isn't showing in the pics, I try to get another one so you're able to see it better and what I'm facing :)