How hard a job is it to install a laundry chute?

+3
I would like one in the floor, not the wall and the room is right above my laundry room below.

• Ken Ken on Jan 03, 2018
    I have not heard of one in the floor and a quick search revealed only door assemblies for the wall.

Essentially you would be making a trap door which could be as simple as cutting a hole in the floor, putting hinges on it, and adding framing around the opening to keep the cutout from falling through. What you are creating is a full-on safety hazard. Any hardware, like a pull to open it and hinges, will create tripping hazards. There is also the possibility of the door being left open and someone falling through.

To answer your question: Easy job. Bad idea.

• Tracy C Tracy C on Jan 03, 2018
      Yes Ken, I believe you're right. Thank you for pointing that out.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jan 03, 2018
    well, it should be too difficult -- other than a SAFETY issue -- you'd have !! to put a shield around it to prevent injury --- just be sure not to cut thru the floor joists! Be safe! first --- I had a laundry chute in a older home I lived in - thru/down the wall -- but it was put in during the original construction -- LOVED it!!

• Tracy C Tracy C on Jan 03, 2018
      Yes, even though I was thinking of a ring-pull that would be flush with the floor and hydraulics to auto-close, I still think it would be too much of a safety hazard. Thank you for your feedback, I will look at specs for an "in the wall chute". Happy New Year!

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 03, 2018
    the previous owners of my current house diy’d a laundry schute in the wall cavity...my only problem...I’d still have to carry the laundry the lenght of the house To get the laundry done.

• Tracy C Tracy C on Jan 03, 2018
    Lucky for me I have a BR right above the laundry room!