What do I need to do to convert an upstairs closet into a laundry room

I have an upstairs linen closet, 8’ tall x 29” wide x 31” deep. Fortunately, I have direct access to the basement via a laundry chute that is in this closet. I have an existing 220 circuit in the basement I’m not using. Access to plumbing can be made from the bathtub on the adjacent wall. I can run an exhaust vent directly up through the roof from this location. Do you have any suggestions as to how to go about this? Also, has anyone else done this and were there any problems? I’m considering a compact stackable set versus an “all in one” laundry center. Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciate!

• 27524803 27524803 on Jul 04, 2018
    FYI... most dryer vents do not push enough pressure to exhaust thru a ceiling or roof.... lint fire!
    My best advice would be to consult a good Contractor (HomeAdvisor.com or Angieslist.com) to get this done.... you will also need to find an electrician
    AND.... put the largest, stack-able washer and dryer... that you can fit in the closet.... there are some of the new front loaders that are smaller in scale but hold more clothes than the "apartment size" stacked unit.

• David David on Jul 04, 2018
    Thank you for your advice. I’m thinking that I may need to place a booster fan in the ductwor. We had a home in AZ with a duct that went up probably 20 feet and it did fine.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Oct 28, 2021

Hi David have you considered a combo washer / dryer? We had one for years and just replaced it with a new one from Home Depot. Its literally one machine instead of two and does not require a vent which was a big selling point for me. It only takes up half the space and really works great. They're very common in Europe but just about all box stores sell them now online.

It also doesn't require the 30amp breaker and big outlet of a regular dryer. Just a regular 20amp breaker runs it.