We covered up our fireplace because it was in our cabin that we moved to and it wasn’t working properly. I know, some of you think we are crazy, but it was what we wanted to do. We had a ductless heat pump put in and didn’t need the fireplace anymore. So here is our journey.
Here is the fireplace wall. The space was huge to cover up. So, we took the logs that supported our old dock and cut them into planks. We dried the logs out for about 7 years. After they were milled they sat for another 3 years. We then made a frame and attached them on the fireplace. But, I didn’t like the brick work down below. This cabin was built in 1959 and there were 3 different types of brick. We remodeled the cabin recently and painted
the walls white. The kitchen/ living room are all one. The kitchen is white cabinets with black handles and this theme is continuing into this room also. So the brick just wasn’t cutting it for me anymore. There is a really cool fossil stone that I did like though. It’s in the middle. I wanted to still keep that.
I began by cleaning and then painting out the concrete mantle black. It definitely had seen better days!
I taped it off first.
Then painted it black. I liked it but the brick right below the mantle was a green color that just didn’t go with my theme.
So I tried sponge painting it with an Aqua color that an accent wall in my kitchen is painted with.
Didn’t like that either!
I thought, okay let’s try sponging black over that. That was better, but then the rest of the brick looked out of place.
So everything got painted black except the fossil stone. The brick is very jagged so I used a brush to get in all the nooks and crannies. I gave it 2 coats.
You’re probably wondering what the wood panel is. It was a vent from the Franklin stove in the basement that originally helped heat the cabin.
Ahhh, much better. I love it and it blends in with my decor now!