How can I update my 60’s pecky cypress fireplace and beams?

+8
I had started a white wash a year ago but sanded off most of it when my family hated it.
q how can i update my 60 s pecky cypress fireplace and beams
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 17, 2018
    If you did not like the white wash paint it a different color to go with your decor

• Mkp28543170 Mkp28543170 on Mar 18, 2018
      Thanks for replying. I do Not seem to have the “vision” that many of you do. The room is very choppy. I have considered painting the brick.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 17, 2018
    Have you thought about re-staining it to a darker color to contrast your walls and make it your focal point?

A dark color would be nice. Anything at this point! there are way too many focal points. do I need to sand it all down? The cypress has deep grooves and it is not forgiving. The rest of the walls are light tan.

• Beth W Beth W on Mar 17, 2018
    I love the look of it as is. If you are looking to change it up a bit you could do a light coat of a darker stain or gel stain to create more contrast. I would do that last - try a dry brush paint on the brick first. This may give you the contrast that makes this beautiful wood pop!

Could you elaborate on the brick please. If i do not have to work with the cypress for it to look nice that would be great. The whole room is choppy with doorways and windows etc

• Shoshana Shoshana on Mar 18, 2018
    You can make it over with airstone-https://www.hometalk.com/diy/living-room/fireplaces-mantels/diy-fireplace-surround-using-airstone-6789843?r=1

• Jeanne Herzig Arena Jeanne Herzig Arena on Nov 02, 2018

WE PAINTED OUR BRICK WHITE AND LEFT THE MANTLE WILL RESTAIN IT LATER

WHAT ABOUT TESTING AREA W JUST WHITE PAINT..NO WHITE WASH....I KNOW SOME PEOPLE PUT A GLAZE ON IT TOO....THAT MAY GIVE YOU THE POP YOU WERE LOOKING FOR ......I HAVE A WHOLE STAIRWAY WITH PECKY CYPRESS AND WAS JUST LOOKING FOR IDEAS TOO BECAUSE THE STAIRWAY IS SO DARK....I LIKE THE WHITE WASH BUT WILL TRY FULL PAINT TOO