I would like to replace my 6 recessed lighting in my vaulted ceiling ?

+19

I do not like the recessed lighting as it is either too bright or not enough light to read. I would like to replace the lighting with something more functional. I am wondering if pendant lighting would be a better option? I am open to suggestions. My living room is dark at night time. I would like more even light that I could adjust to read and not feel that I am under a spot light.

q i would like to replace my 6 recessed lighting in my vaulted ceiling
  • FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Oct 26, 2021

Before you ditch the recessed lighting - have you tried adding a dimmer switch? Then you can adjust the lighting to exactly what you want. Plus - cheaper and pretty easy!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Oct 26, 2021

You might try a different light bulb in your recessed lights, could make a world of difference. I like the idea of a dimmer switch.

• CJ CJ on Oct 26, 2021

Great ideas here! I'll add that the bills for recessed light fixtures can be purchased as "flood lights" that direct the light out in a wider area and in "spot lights" that direct the light down in a smaller area. How this helps.

• Pendant lights might work but they may need to be quite long if you have a vaulted ceiling.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 26, 2021

Another option would be to put a dimmer switch. Then you could adjust them when they are "too bright". You can go with brighter bulbs if you decide to go that route. I would also change the light kit on the ceiling fan to one that is open and will put out much more light.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Oct 26, 2021

Maybe try a new lightbulb that is brighter and then get some lamps to help with reading

• Annie Annie on Oct 26, 2021

A dimmer switch would be a good first option, you can add them to pretty much any type of lighting. And it's not hard to do, take a look here to see how it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSKjanCs-E

• Mogie Mogie on Oct 26, 2021

Why not white wash the ceiling? That way when you add your new lighting that light could bonce off the newly painted ceiling but being white washed the look of the wood would still peek thru.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Oct 26, 2021

Hello. I agree with dimmer switches and less you wish to go to floor lamps or some sort of track wire lighting along beams. Precise placement might be problematic.

Agtee-Wood stained ceilings do present very difficult lighting options In my situation I found that ceiling fans offer very limited lighting.

• William William on Oct 26, 2021

Pendant lighting may be too long and if you shorten the cord they would look off. Try replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs. The are brighter, save energy, and last longer. Dimmer switches would work to adjust the intensity of light. You can aslo consider white washing the ceiling. It does create a darker room.

• Mogie Mogie on Oct 26, 2021

Be careful there are some led lights that can't be used on a dimmer switch but they are clearly marked.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 26, 2021

Yes, it is true that not all LED lights/bulbs are dimmable. However, LED bulbs or integrated LED light fixtures that are marked as dimmable, in order to function properly, must be used with a dimmer switch that is clearly marked as being rated for not only LED light, but also for the correct amount of combined (wattage) K rating of all the bulbs connected together on that particular dimmer switch.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 26, 2021

From the picture you posted, seeing the circles of light that are not overlapping each other, I would say that the recessed light bulbs you presently have seem to be the spot light style. These are found frequently in areas such as museums, and unfortunately, although were trendy at one point in time, do not function well for living spaces, as they are either too bright, or to shadowy.

I agree with William's suggestion to replace the existing bulbs with LED bulbs.

I would also suggest to completely replace the existing recessed lights with slim LED integrated LED lights. These are available in different brands, do not require any ceiling insulation, and mount with clips.

I would advise to choose a high intensity K rating , for max brightness, and to install a dimmer switch to vary the intensity needed at any particular time.

Lights with a higher K rating, or with a larger diameter, will emit wider circles of light that overlap each other, resulting in light better filling the entire room.

• Joan Joan on Oct 26, 2021

Do you recommend a particular brand and dimmer switch?

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 27, 2021

The availability of different brands of the LED ceiling lights varies depending on where you live. However, as far as dimmer switches go, I would recommend Leviton or Lutron products. They may be higher priced compared with others, but based on personal experience, they are more reliable and are more precise than cheaper brands. Here are two examples:

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 27, 2021

Track lighting would be good you could shine it were you want and turn it to we’re you don’t want light

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Oct 31, 2021

ladder is a key to replace light bulbs in the vaulted ceilings

• Joan Joan on Oct 31, 2021

Our hole is 8 inches. Any suggestions ? I have only found 6 inch

• Joan Joan on Nov 01, 2021

Thanks for all your help. I decided to change the bulb and put a dimmer switch on it. Thanks again for your feedback

• You can use recessed can converter kits which will allow you to put any type of lighting fixture in its place. You can see how I used one here: https://www.flippingtheflip.com/2014/12/how-to-turn-recessed-can-light-into.html

• Joan Joan on Nov 01, 2021

Thank you