How can i make these 2 rooms 1 room

+2
I have 2 rooms with an arch way in the middle of them is there anyway to make them more like one room. Dont mind the mess it dont always look like this
q how can i make these 2 rooms 1 room
q how can i make these 2 rooms 1 room
  • Lynn Lynn on Jun 28, 2018
    If the arch wall is not a support wall I would remove the wall. You may have to keep a small header for support by with the side walls gone it would look like one big room. I hired an engineer to tell me if I needed more support if I took out a wall (mine was about 50') and it cost me several hundred dollars for the advice but well worth getting a professional opinion before you start tearing out walls. If you don't want to go that extreme, just looking at our pics I think if you didn't have 2 separate rugs and if you didn't have the shelf above the arch - those things just draw your attn. that its 2 separate spaces. Good luck!

• Ken Ken on Jun 28, 2018
    Removing a wall requires the service of a structural engineer to determine if it is safe to take the wall out. You could create a window opening through the wall if it is structural but a header of appropriate dimension will have to be installed to maintain the integrity of the structure.

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jun 28, 2018
    You can take the drywall off of the archway, and remove the framing. Then, remove the drywall on the walls on each side of the archway and the ceiling to a stud. Put up new drywall, tape and joint compound.

• Itsmemic Itsmemic on Jun 28, 2018
    I got rid of a wall like that...ended up having to make a wood beam which I love:) But like all said...if you block out the fact that it was 2 rooms and treat it as one large one..it will all come together. Perhaps you should concentrate more on organizing and containing that amount of clutter. Check out some of the playroom ideas..will make a huge difference !!

• Carol Cole Carol Cole on Jun 29, 2018
    I fully agree with Ken, he made the subjestion that I was going to say.