Asked on Jun 13, 2017

How can I prevent my "full of yard waste" paper bags from the rain?

Betsy
by Betsy
I don't have any place to store them once full, inbetween biweekly pick-ups. My yard is large, many bags, and not in a position to fully compost yet. Thanks!!!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 13, 2017

put a tarp over them

• Rebecca Peterson Rebecca Peterson on Jun 13, 2017

you could build a covered cart or just a yard waste port (kinda like a car port)

• Eloise Eloise on Jun 14, 2017

I store mine in a standard 30 gallon trash can with lid, then just lift it out and take it to the curb on trash day(s).

• Cover them with a tarp or sheet of plastic.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 09, 2023

We put ours under a soffit so they stay dry.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 10, 2023

Buy a Compost Bin or two, to store them.

• Melinda Melinda on May 20, 2024

You can try using heavy-duty trash bags inside the paper bags to add an extra layer of protection against the rain. Alternatively, you can cover the bags with a tarp or plastic sheeting to keep them dry.

• I'd try using plastic drop cloths or pull plastic garbage bags over the tops.

• Melinda Melinda on Jun 19, 2024

I've been in the same boat with no good place to store yard waste bags between pickups. What worked for me was covering them with tarps and using some old bricks to weigh them down so the tarps don't blow away. I also try to stack the bags on a few pallets I found, which keeps them off the wet ground. It's not perfect, but it keeps them mostly dry until they're picked up.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 19, 2024

Hi Betsy: I'm a Betsy, too :) What you can do is get a pallet (You can find free ones behind some stores), to keep the bags off of the ground. Then, cover them with plastic contractor bags, and put your paper bags in them, bottom of the plastic bag on the top of the paper bag, like a hat. Toter 96 Gallon Trash Can Liners for Toter Garbage Cans(10-Count) GB096-R1000 - The Home Depot You can remove the plastic bags when it's time to put the paper bags to the curb to reuse them. If you think they may blow off, I think they're long enough to tuck under your paper bags, you can snug up a lot of bags and use twine to tie them all together.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 20, 2024

Build a store to protect them

• Dee Dee on Jun 20, 2024

Cover with plastic or buy a trash can for temporaty storage.

• Use a plastic sheet or tarp to cover them. For an additional layer of weather protection, try placing sturdy garbage bags inside the paper bags.

• Deb K Deb K 5 days ago

Hi Betsy, you can cover them with a tarp or build a canopy over the area where you store them, you could even put up a shed for for them. Hope this helps you.

• Sonja Damen Sonja Damen 2 hours ago

One trick that might help is using plastic trash bags to line your paper yard waste bags. It won't affect composting much but should keep them dry between pickups. Plus, they're easy to remove when it's time to compost.