Do you love sparkling lights in the winter garden? I do!
I recently saw this fabulous giant lighted garden orb selling for $195, which is about all the incentive I need to try making my own low-cost version.
I've seen them made from grapevines, chicken wire, and metal wire, with the outdoor lights wrapped around—and these all look fabulous—so I decided to "shop" in my garden shed to see what I could use from there without spending a dime.
The answer? Garden planters—the half-circle metal ones. I had four sitting in storage and they're perfect for a project like this.
Here's how I did it:
DIY Sparking Garden Orb - Use What You Have!
1. You'll need four half-circle planters total. Mine weren't all the same size or design but close enough that it worked just fine. You could also use any other winter-tough items you have. Everything looks pretty in the night garden with sparkling lights!
2. Join two planters together, back to back, using plastic cable ties or wire. Do the same with the other two planters.
3. Add outdoor holiday lights. I held them in place with wire. Make sure you place the cord ends where you'll need them.
4. With lights ready, attach the two half spheres together to form a giant ball. Hang it from a tree or set it on an arbor like I did here.
5. Here it is. I was so excited to have one big, beautiful ball of sparkling lights in the night garden and then the moon came and stole the show! I can't wait to see how beautiful it will be in the snow.
For full instructions, recommended products, and more creative garden ideas, visit my blog, Empress of Dirt, at the link below.
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Published December 11th, 2014 12:37 PM
2 of 30 comments