What can I do to get grass to grow?

+5
I've been in this house for almost 20 years never been able to grow nice grass tried everything way too much weed. Someone help.
  • Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 18, 2017
    I think one of the problems is you may need to have your lawn aerated. You can rent a machine at a rental place or you can have a landscaping company do it for you. After it is aerated spread with grass seed formulated for the area it's in and you should see an improvement.

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jun 18, 2017
    My neighbors dealt with a similar problem so they tilled their entire yard a couple times, then found a good, fast growing grass seed. It looks really nice now. The tilling was time consuming and labor intensive, but they have kids and dogs and didn't want to spray chemicals.

• Lim_shipley Lim_shipley on Jun 18, 2017
    I gave up on grass. Moss wanted to grow so I let it and I now have a moss yard that require no maintenance at all.

• Seethebeauty Seethebeauty on Jun 19, 2017
    Not sure where you are from or what type of soil you have. But, I can tell you consistant watering is essential. If you don't have one, consider installing a sprinkler system and use the other ideas here. When you mow, don't use the mulch option, bag and irrigating produces holes in the ground that allow the water to go further into the ground. Buy a nice lounge chair, make a frozen anything and enjoy!

• Kalin Al Kalin Al on Jun 19, 2017
    Great thanks I was thinking about installing a sprinkle system

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 19, 2017
    Assess your soil. You're probably going to need to amend it. Also, grass will not grow in shade so pick your battles. Check your zone for the type of grass that will grow best for your weather conditions. Once you till, amend and reseed, keep the grass healthy. Use pre-emergent weed killer when appropriate for your area. A healthy lawn will naturally deter weeds.

• San6982447 San6982447 on Jun 19, 2017
    All the above suggestion are very good...but may I add ..purchase some white clover seed & mix that in with your grass seed., that may help. Make sure it's white clover ...not pink. Good luck.