Extremely thrifty ways to block the wind, NOT the sun for vegg garden?

+2
We rent a little cottage about 1 1/2 blocks from the beach on the California central coast. We are first time gardeners on a budget. The wind can get quite strong and I need a near free way to block the ocean wind without blocking the sun. Thank you for any help.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 07, 2017
    I would go with some kind of netting that you can attach to the metal posts that would be pounded into the ground and be secure. You don't want to eliminate all the wind or you may have a problem with no circulation around your veggies. That in itself can cause problems, hence netting that can let in some of the wind. You could try putting it up only on the usual path of the wind, if it usually comes from the west, put it up on the west side of the garden. My garden is on top of a steep hill and gets lots of wind at times, last summer we had winds up to fifty or more when some strong storms came through, the only problem I had in my garden was young corn plants ended up tilted. I put in some light stakes and put them back up straight and that was it. No wind harmed the squash, cucumbers, many peppers, green beans or tomatoes. Lost a few flowers, but still had fantastic crops. Even the pole beans, cucumbers and squash that go up the fencing were not harmed. The plants are sturdier than a person thinks, a little propping back up for a while for those that do go over a little and they are find. The critters do much more damage than anything.

• FL FL on Dec 07, 2017
    A nice sturdy frame secured into the ground and sheets of plastic. If you have a place where the you can build three sides with the wall of a house, shed or garage as a the 4th wall, that could help make it stronger.

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Dec 07, 2017
    Helli! Here are a number of ways to block the wind in your garden or in your backyard. These ideas come from Pinterest. Click on the link below to check out the options. One or more of them is sure to appeal to you :

• One of my favorite places on earth! Hope to retire there soon. Jealous, 1 1/2 blocks from the beach, oh my! I would plant a hedge along with screen material attached to posts. Here are a few links.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 08, 2017
    hoop house...pvc pipe with t pieces every 2 feet...up yo 8 ft long, 4 ft wide. Attatch longer same size diameter ove across frame to other side to make an arch. Cover with plastic sheeting. Tuck the ends of the plastic under the frame.