How do I create a completely edible landscape?

+3
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 07, 2017
    Hi Cheryl I think if I were you I would start by deciding whether or not you're ok with replanting every year or not. Whether you're using perennials or annuals will change the plants that are available to you in your zone by a lot. One you know that answer then you can focus on edible herbs, flowers and even trees! But it all depends on your zone and whether or not you want to replant every year. I know even some types of lettuce will come back year after year, I have a huge chive plant that just keeps getting bigger every year and is totally NO maintenance!

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 07, 2017
    Plant things that bear fruit or food that you like. Try companion planting.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 07, 2017
    Visit your local botanic garden and check out how they do it. You may have to have different areas for variety. Since sometimes the plants that you have are still producing while you need to start the next seasons plantings. I live in the Midwest and as best as I can tell it's zone 5 and if I were to do that I would need a separate area for my early spring plants such as aspagus which does come back and fruit bushes that you only need to plant once such as raspberry and blackberry bushes. And yet I would need to get tomatoes and peppers in ground while the fruit bushes were just at their peak. Then I would need a separate area for the fall or cool season veggies squashes and cabbage and such. So I would constantly Ave produce but at the appropriate time. Some come back some you will have to either save seeds and start indoors then plant and some will come back. And keep in mind as you lay out your design the amount of sun each plant needs as well as water. Put a drip line in so that you don't waste water. Be very careful with herbs some do come back and take over like cilantro and mint. And it's hard to kill. But you can dry them and use throughout the year which is nice.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 07, 2017
    Grow Veg and Herbs

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 07, 2017
    Visit your local botanical gardens or local extension cooperative for ideas. We have one near my house and the volunteers who are master gardeners there give a lot of good ideas and advice.