How do I fix back yard?

+9
My back yard was demolished by renters. I can only afford to seed a small section with grass. What is the cheapest way to fix the rest so my grandchildren can play?
q how do i fix back yard
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 01, 2017
    Can you get some Astroturf or other fake grass to lay down? They make some very decent ones nowadays, and if you just do a small section, you could save money.

• Tim Stachecki Tim Stachecki on Jun 01, 2017
    We have a beautiful yard. Recently, a septic tank addition left a pretty large area of the yard looking like Yucca Flats after a nuclear test. We have employed an environmentally sound principle called "Mow what will grow". Most people use an over seeding method to create a lawn. Not really necessary and also expensive. Try this: Rake and scrape up the sand and try to take out the larger rocks and gravel. If weeds will grow, chances are your soil is able to sustain grass. Pick a drought tolerant variety. Once your raked surface is ready, water. Now stretch the seed as far as you possibly can, lightly rake again, and water a second time, to Harden in the seed. No sense feeding the birds grass seed. Avoid run off. Let the grass, weeds and all grow. It will be light and sparse at first. You can periodically re-seed, but eventually with regular mowing and watering, only those things that are low growing and survive mowing will persist. Our lawn now consists of mostly grasss, but also spring blooming violets, maza (a white flower ground spreading plant) and various mystery weeds that sometimes bloom but generally look like grass from a distance. Clover takes over, and feels great to walk barefoot on, and kids love looking for four leaf clovers. It's free. Bees love this lawn too.

• Tammy Tammy on Jun 01, 2017
    Try contacting some tree companies and asking what they do with their shredded wood. In some areas they have to pay to dispose of it so you may be able to get it free.

• See 1 previous
    • Tammy Tammy on Jun 01, 2017
      Lol, sorry Dee, here in WI they do that sort of thing.

• Treva Kirby Adams Treva Kirby Adams on Jun 01, 2017
    Now would be a great time to consider a sandbox, swing set, or small paved area for a basketball hoop, riding tricycles or scoooters or bad minton net or picnic table. All of these are detrimental to grass and would lessen the area to be seeded. Consider letting the kids plant vegetables or flowers in beds around the perimeter too.

• Dee Dee on Jun 01, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. Don't have the time for this now. I work 7 days a week sometimes 12 to 14 hours a day. Was hoping for something easier. Thanks anyway.

• Dee Dee on Jun 01, 2017
    All of those things cost money - a LOT of it in California. They have a tree house with zip line and trampoline at their house that my son built for them. I need simple and cheap. There are no flower bed areas in the yards. They're planted in pots - large pots. Thanks anyway.

• 1pinkflamingo 1pinkflamingo on Jun 01, 2017
    maybe Irish Moss? You can walk on it, it is soft and durable and spreads well.

• Dee Dee on Jun 02, 2017
      Does Irish Moss grow in 115 degrees in the summer? If so, how fast does it spread and where do I get it? Thanks!

• 1pinkflamingo 1pinkflamingo on Jun 04, 2017
    I did some more research, it appears irish moss can be a bit picky about moisture and heat. But here are some more ideas. I think maybe a sedum might be the way to go for you.

Some top picks that might work for you
    SEDUM REQUIENI MINIATURE STONECROP
    Sedum 'John Creech'
    Sedum cauticola
    Sedum acre
    Sedum 'Ogon'
    Sedum 'Angelina'
    Sedum grisebachii

The pictures will make you think that it is spiny or sharp to walk on. But I have two different types of sedum ground cover, and i walk on them all the time and they are actually really soft.

Oh! Here is another great website that might help you find some ideas.