How do I maintain a solar fountain using a large vase?

+1
We are planning on using a large, tall vase with a solar insert as a fountain. Will we need algae control and can I put water plants (and maybe a goldfish or two)in the fountain?
  • FL FL on May 25, 2017
    Oh I just love your idea! I found a site that offers advice on adding fish and plants and keeping it almost self-sustaining. I hope it helps!

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on May 25, 2017
    You can absolutely do this. Determine the volume of the vase (how many gallons) before you start. If this is to be outside, you will need a LOT of water circulation so I hope the fountain creates lots of bubbles. Also, if outside, you may need an indoor aquarium for cool weather months. Regular fish will not hibernate like koi if the water gets too cold. And don't let it get too hot, either. Shade it, or use water lilies to shade it. A pet store dechlorinator and pond algaecide should work just fine. Remember, it's all about the journey!

• Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on May 26, 2017
    thank you, I'll check this out.

Thank you for responding. I may have to forego the fish because we have nowhere to bring them indoors. But I will make sure I take care of the algae.