How do I stop my yard from washing away?

My house is in a wooded area on the side of a slight downhill slope, again wooded area. The majority of my yard is weeds and I'm trying to get some grass to stay year round. I realize it won't be green during our short winter here in North Carolina, but if there were at least some roots to hold the dirt in place, I feel the erosion wouldn't be so bad. I've only been in this house 5 years, but I see noticeable changes in the amount and number of tree roots protruding from the ground. Is there a particular grass I should look at planting? what about timing for planting that grass? should I be looking at adding a topsoil fill at the time of planting? I've been over seeding every year in the fall before it gets cold in hopes that seed would sprout in the spring, but either I'm using the wrong seed, planting at the wrong time, or the rain and wash carry the seed down the slope and into the woods. Any suggestions? TIA

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 31, 2017
    Trying to get seed to start without proper application will never work.Apply several inches of top soil,grass seed for your location and lighting,followed by starter fertilizer and top with peat moss.....https://www.hunker.com/12002321/how-to-plant-grass-seeds-on-a-slope

• Michael Michael on Dec 31, 2017
      What do you mean by "......seed for your location and lighting?"

• Laura Wands Laura Wands on Jan 01, 2018
    Whether the area gets full Sun or is shady. That makes a huge dfference in which grass will grow best & thrive in your yard.

• Michael Michael on Jan 01, 2018
    Ah, Understood. So my back yard is the worst area. It doesn't start to get sun until around noon to shortly after noon. Then early in the afternoon, the sun begins to disappear behind the trees. So I guess that would be considered partial sun? So what would be the best seed for this situation? And thanks so much for all the great help!