How to construct a hogwire panel fence?

• Suzette Suzette on Jan 02, 2018
    Hi Bill, Here's a video that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWNYWqAuLw

Good luck!

• Galen W. Yoder Galen W. Yoder on Jan 03, 2018
    Hi Bill , I didn't watch the video that Suzette offered but in case it isn't mentioned in the video, my suggestion would be that the bottom rail should be ripped in half,actually removing the thickness of the hog panel and then sandwich the hog panel between the two rips and use exterior grade screws to do so. Then stop it in just as the photo on the video suggests. My reason is I live in a wet climate at times and the bottom rail is the first to go and decay because of the constant entrapment of water and debris. By sandwiching the boards as a two part rail it allows the water and moisture to drain away and increase the longevity of your fence. (when & if you do the panels,maybe hold the bottom of the hog panel a 1/4 inch below the wood so as to not re-create a trough for the water.) Also the key for a long lasting wood frame fence is to keep the wood from contacting the ground or allowing vegetation to grow and contact the wood. This will keep the wood from wicking moisture into the bottom of the rails or boards on a fence. Take a look at a wood fence sometime that has contact with the ground surface or grass and you can see the discoloration caused by the moisture and you will probably also see the bottom of the wood beginning to decay. Just a suggestion, as I stated living in a rather wet climate it is an on going condition. (sprinkler systems will do the same damage!)