How to make a living wall?

+5
I have a long plain block wall in my backyard and would love to turn it into a living garden without spending a lot of money. Succulenta or even herbs and vegetlabels. Any ideas?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 29, 2017
    Pallets.....www.hometalk.com/categories/gardening-landscaping/container-gardening/vertic

• Susan Schlaepfer Susan Schlaepfer on May 29, 2017
    You could try grasses of varying heights and colors. There are also some vines that grow pretty fast.

• Trixie63 Trixie63 on May 30, 2017
    I found a couple drawers at a thrift store. I took them home and painted them with marine grade paint on the outside. I then attached hangers from Oryx I think (found at any big box store) to support the weight I thoughT these may be. On the inside I stapled black plastic and then landscape fabric. I then attached lattice to the top with small nails. I used a soilless potting mix and planted impatiens as I planned to hang on a shady wall. I left them lying on the deck for about 10 days till the plants seemed to be bound in the soilless mixture. I carefully hung on the deck and the impatiens went crazy. I've not tried succulents or other plants but I'd guess they'd work. I wish I had pictures to share but I wasn't smart enough to take any! I just took them down to water then got lazy and used a very soft spray while they hung and it seemed fine. I think the light weight of the soilless mixture was key. Have fun and experiment!

• Starlyte Starlyte on May 31, 2017
    I like the idea of sloping gutters, with plants every few inches, which will grow and cover the wall with good watering. You can paint the gutters of course. Or wire mesh with plants in earth and moss holders pushed in. But with the gutters you can just rig a little DC pump and it can water all of them by gravity.

• Trixie63 Trixie63 on May 31, 2017
    I don't. I just made it two summers ago. Sorry.