I have a very shady lawn. Is it possible to grow grass? Alternatives?

+2
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 27, 2017
    Apply a few inches of top soil,grass seed for shade for your l;location,starter fertilizer,top with peat moss and keep moist until established

• Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    Grass is a struggle in a shaded lawn. My next door neighbor insists on grass. His grass is spindly and has no ability to withstand stress. What wants to grow there is moss. He doesn't like moss and fights it.

Try this site: http://mossacres.com/ There is a lot of reading out there on how to grow the stuff. I'm having mixed results with my own primarily because I don't want to water it. A moss carpet can be one of the most beautiful lawn substitutes there is and you don't have to mow it.

• Glo8607531 Glo8607531 on Dec 27, 2017
    If you do not need the for play games etc., you can use a ground cover. The are many beautiful options out there. Just choose one that would strive in shaded area.

• Peter Peter on Dec 27, 2017
    Grasses that grow under trees need more moisture than the trees leave behind! Shade grasses are fescues and perhaps rye. Bluegrass wants SUN. but All of them want Moisture, and soil, but trees will really take moisture. A building's shade may be quite different.