Have holes where shrubbery was and now I still have roots- what to do?

+1
How do I remove the roots and do I fill the hole before I put down newspaper or do you recommend black cloth ?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 02, 2017
    Smother them out with card board,newspapers and landscape fabric

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 04, 2017
    The roots are probably dead or dying if you removed the plant already. Dig, pull and cut out what you can, they may go deep and wide. I took out all the horrible shrubs in the front of the house and when I replanted with mostly hostas and a few other plants I was taking roots out four and five feet from where the old shrubs were taken out. If you want to plant right away, that would be the way to go. If there are any roots left they have not regrown for me and it has been a year now since they were dug up.

• Q.k9003237 Q.k9003237 on Jun 04, 2017
    Large roots from shrubery are difficult to remove. I am not as nimble as I used to be so my approach is a little different...I dig out as much dirt around the roots as possible with a spade or with a garden trowel. Then I take a pruning saw and cut off the roots. Then I start again until i have most of the larger roots gone. If you are patient, you can also drill holes in the largest roots and pack them with epsom salts then seal with parafin. This will desicate the roots and they will decompose over time. If the roots are smaller make a garden sifter with screen and put shovels of dirt on and sift thru screen. Roots can then be thrown away. Tedious, but it works.

• Susan Ellis Yamakawa Susan Ellis Yamakawa on Jun 04, 2017
    My husband read these three comments and liked them 😄Thank you !!!!!