How can I quickly put in a walkway?

• Seth Seth on Dec 29, 2018

Gravel and stepping stones are quick and easy as long as you do not need wheelchair access.

• Elymae Elymae on Dec 29, 2018

Thanks loads Seth, don't need wheel chair but may need to accomodate high heels, will this still work. Your the best, Thanks

• Seth Seth on Dec 29, 2018

I have no trouble on stepping stones when I'm in heels. :-)

• Lydia Weikel Cox Lydia Weikel Cox on Dec 30, 2018

;) Seth in heels! Consider what besides your feet in heels may be using this new walkway. For instance, a heavy wheeled suitcase pulled while you are wearing heels! A wheeled trashcan. A child's riding toy. In these cases the wheels could get caught in spaces between stepping stones unless you make the space minimal, perhaps 1/2" or so, making it ever so difficult to move along your pathway. The same method could be used, but plan to place the stepping stones closely, vs the distance of your normal gait. Much easier to do it right the first time than as a redo. Ask me how I know! Also, it is a good idea to level the ground below and line the space below stepping stones and gravel/stones with landscaper grade weed barrier. It will keep down not only weeds & grass infiltrating your path, but dirt that splashes up onto stepping stones during hard rains. With time, gravel/stones can sink into rain-softened soil leaving more soil closer to the surface. Landscape cloth won't eliminate ALL weeds breaking through, but most of them. Plan on using some vinegar, salt, boiling water or weedkiller beside & between stepping stones periodically, or fingers to pull weeds up with roots. If you happen to have access to any old carpet being removed, strips can be cut the width of your proposed path including where gravel will be, and laid before any stones in lieu of landscape weed barrier. Personally, I've liked using "egg rocks" vs gravel for a cleaner, brighter appearance, and the rocks don't tend to move about and get tracked in on shoes like smaller gravel does. Those rocks are whole walnut to large egg size and rounded like eggs. Good luck!