How to even a plot of ground to lay cement tiles?

My husband is pretty much disabled and can only do so much. Whatever needs to be done I have to do on my own (with his guidance.) I don't know where to start except to kill the weeds that are already there. Thanks.
  • Carol Carol on Jun 04, 2017
    First mark off the space that you are using. I use a fluorescent spray paint to do that. Next get a flat square shovel or rent a machine that can remove the sod. After that I start removing them ground and then use a large level to see where I am all along the process. Once I get dirt removed I keep checking it to make sure it is kevel all the way around

• Inetia Inetia on Jun 09, 2017
    It's correct that the grass must be removed. Once you've excavated grass/weeds you may need to remove some soil too. When leveling the ground try to make it slant away from the house so as not to direct water to the foundation of the house. Fill the area with with 1 to 2 inches of sand and level the sand. A grass barrier will keep the grass from growing into the sand. Level the sand and lay the tiles. You can leave spaces between some of the tiles if you choose and fill them with more sand. Sand for this purpose is available with concrete mixed in and once you've filled the spaces and swept it off the tiles you wet it with a fine water mist. The concrete mix makes weed control easier than plain sand. As long as you don't have trees with feeder roots under the area you can just kill the weeds with a mix of salt, vinegar and dish soap. I did the following projects myself and I'm 72. Good luck to you.

• Joyce Bell Joyce Bell on Jun 26, 2017
    What type of sand did you use?