What can I plant in area that gets boggy when we have a lot of rain?

A french drain is to costly so i need something that can handle boggy soil.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jan 21, 2019

Hi there Marilyn, here's a list of plants you can try in that area. https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/10-plants-to-grow-in-bog-gardens/ I'm not sure where you stay so just check if they're suitable for your zone. Best of luck

• Rozmund Rozmund on Jan 21, 2019

I would dig down after a rain to see why the water is not draining away first of all...is there clay deep down..or left over blocks, stumps, etc from a previous building..after creating such a hole, I would time it after the rain has stopped to see how long it sits...may be it sits forever..maybe there is an below ground spring...I would address these problems first before going to the expense of planting something alive..you might be pleasantly surprised...i.e. the hole does not have to be large, just deep...and get the soil tested...this happened to me on one of my properties..I dug many holes, about 10" in diameter..a huge spade width...went down 3 feet, and filled them with driveway gravel..in time the water managed to take the gravel lower into the clay soil that we found....and made natural little pathways for the water to escape...this I did after planting tree 3 times..after the 3rd time the nursery insisted I dig down to see what was there...4 feet under the soil surface...we found shingles, blocks, and loads of clay...that tree is still healthy after 10 years...hope this gives you a few ideas....Roz

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jan 21, 2019

Your local Agricultural Agency can advise you if 'bog' planting is feasible for your zone; bog plants are lovely, and offer a great deal of environmental benefit .... hope it works for you ...